Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Lent . . .giving up or giving over?

 
 
 
Poem: "For Lent" by Monica Lavia

What are you giving up for Lent? Adam asked of Eve.
Well, Eve said. I am thinking I should give up apples.

And what about you, husband of mine?
Adam replied, I think I am going to give up taking advice from you.


What are you giving up for Lent?
Abel asked his brother Cain?
Cain replied, I am going to try to give up my anger
Lest in a weak moment, I injure someone I love.


What are you giving up for Lent?
Jacob asked his twin, Esau.
Apparently my birthright, little brother of mine.


What are you giving up for Lent?
Moses asked of Aaron?
I am going to give up worshiping false gods
Especially the golden calf variety.
What about you? Aaron asked Moses in return.
I am giving up my need to see the promised land.


What are you giving up for lent?
Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar asked Job.
I am giving up trying to understand the mind of God.


What are you giving up for Lent? I asked of Mary.
She whispered her response so softly
I had to move in close to her to hear her hushed reply:
My only Son

No comments:

Post a Comment