Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Lenten Poetry . . .

 



Poem: "For Lent" by Monica Lavia

What are you giving up for Lent? Adam asked of Eve.

Well, Eve said. I am thinking I should give up apples.

And what about you, husband of mine?

Adam replied, I think I am going to give up taking advice from you.

 

What are you giving up for Lent?

Abel asked his brother Cain?

Cain replied, I am going to try to give up my anger

Lest in a weak moment, I injure someone I love.

 

What are you giving up for Lent?

Jacob asked his twin, Esau.

Apparently my birthright, little brother of mine.

 

What are you giving up for Lent?

Moses asked of Aaron?

I am going to give up worshiping false gods                                                

Especially the golden calf variety.                                                                 

What about you? Aaron asked Moses in return.                                         

I am giving up my need to see the promised land.       

                             

What are you giving up for Lent?       

Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar asked Job.                                                         

I am giving up trying to understand the mind of God.    

                            

What are you giving up for Lent?  I asked of Mary.

She whispered her response so softly

I had to move in close to her to hear her hushed reply:

My only Son


(Original source unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment