Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The "Not-So-Nice" Jesus!


One time while I was attending a parish liturgy the priest finished reading the Gospel, much like the one we have today, where Jesus the “Prince of Peace” proclaims: "I have come to set the earth on fire” and "Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No I tell you, but rather division, " . . . he said: “Welcome to the ‘not-so-nice Jesus!’

We probably are wondering – why would Jesus speak about establishing division?  I would think that if we would all ponder the issues that face our world today, we could identify those “fires” that burn across our planet that cause division in the minds, hearts, and souls of human kind.

I simply “Googled” issues facing our planet and found this website http://www.globalissues.org/ 
Then I clicked on Loss of Biodiversity. Wow! “Fire” all around the habitats and environments of the voiceless species of this small insignificant planet of this galaxy!  Would the “not-so-nice” Jesus speak out today on these ‘fires” as well?

While listening to NPR today, a spokesperson for young adults shared this website http://www.wearepowershift.org/  to bring to our awareness of the division that is happening because of the misinformation or “government-speak” that drowns out the issues regarding fracking and the controversial ($7.6 billion) oil pipeline stretching from Canada to Texas.

I recall the writings of John Dear, SJ, who reminds us of living the Beatitudes. I believe that as we celebrate the feast of the Assumption of Mary and read her Magnificat Song in the Scriptures, we know she taught Jesus to find his song and sing it throughout his life. I believe his song was that of the Beatitudes which caused great division between him and the political and religious leaders that were stalking him.  He truly was a “presence that disturbed.” Although this writing is not recent, its power to disturb our minds, hearts, and souls still is full of energy. Here’s the link. http://www.johndear.org/

I don’t desire to present “my view” on any of these issues, but just that there are so many “fires” that divide us and I ask that we all take responsibility to become more informed about all sides of the issues and speak out, and make choices with integrity and courage that will be the best for the Common Good – for we all share this one small planet.  The song of Jesus continues today in the hearts, minds, and voices that call us all to remember that we are “just visiting” here and we are to be stewards of the gifts we have be given.

Christ Has No Body
Christ has no body but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks with Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good, Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours, Yours are the eyes with which he looks compassion on this world. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.                                                                                                        -Teresa of Avila

SHOW ME THE SUFFERING OF THE MOST MISERABLE
Show me the suffering of the most miserable; So I will know my people’s plight.

Free me to pray for others; For you are present in every person. Help me to take responsibility for my own life; So that I can be free at last. Give me honesty and patience; So that I can work with other workers. Bring forth song and celebration; So that the Spirit will be alive among us. Let the Spirit flourish and grow; So that we will never tire of the struggle. Let us remember those who have died for justice; For they have given us life. Help us love even those who hate us; So we can change the world. Amen.
                                                                                          ~César Chávez

No comments:

Post a Comment