Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Thoughts Between ‘n Betwixt!



Author Thomas Greene described discernment as that process by which the experiences of our lives are interpreted in faith.  He goes on to say that “it is the art of recognizing what God is asking of us, what God would like us to do with our lives . . .”  This awareness happens through the daily practice of personal prayer, self- reflection, and self-awareness.  It’s that capacity to “lean back” into our experiences and notice where God was inviting us to become the “more” of who we are and can be!  


Discernment Prayer: God of My Life
I give You thanks and praise that I have life, and trust that my life is filled with touch of Your love. You have given me a heart that want to be happy, and You have placed in me a desire to make a difference.

Quiet the fears and distractions of my heart long enough for me to listen to the movement of Your Spirit, to hear Your gentle invitation. Reveal to me the choices that will make me happy. Help me to discover my identity. Let me understand how best to use the gifts You have so lovingly lavished upon me in preparation for our journey together.

And give me the courage to choose You as You have chosen me.  God of my life; God of the journey, let me know myself and let me know You . In this happiness.  Amen.
(Paraphrased from the Augustinians of the Province of St. Thomas of Villanova)


A Prayer by Richard Rohr
Loving God, we love how you love us.  We love how you free us.  We love what you have given and created to surround us.  Help us to recognize, and to rejoice in, what has been given, even in the midst of what is not given. Help us not to doubt all that you have given us, even when we feel our very real shortcomings. We thank you for the promise and sign of your love in the Eternally Risen Christ, pervading all things in the universe, unbound by any of our categories of logic or theology.

We offer you ourselves back in return.  We offer you our bodies, our little lives, our racing minds and restless hearts into this one wondrous circle of Love that is You.  My life is no longer just about me, but is all about you.
(Adapted from Radical Grace: Daily Meditations, p. 155, day 165)

No comments:

Post a Comment