The Twenty-Third Sunday of Ordinary Time 2026
September 6, 2026
www.johnpredmoresj.com |
predmore.blogspot.com
predmoresj@yahoo.com | 617.510.9673
Ezekiel 33:7-9; Psalm 95; Romans
13:8-10; Matthew 18:15-20
The Gospel passage speaks about the necessity and the
mystery of reconciliation. Too often, we hear about forgiveness and we think it
is a quick, magnanimous action to take. This passage is about so much more.
Forgiveness is something I can choose to give to another person. Reconciliation
is something two people must build together.
Many people have trouble with forgiveness because they have
been taught that it is a singular act to be completed in one sitting. That is
not so. Forgiveness has many layers and dimensions to it. We also have a notion
that forgiveness is all or nothing, and we end up choosing nothing and we cause
such great chasms in our relationships. How many of us are estranged from
someone important in our lives? We are wrongly taught that forgiveness means to
overlook a transgression or to act as though an action has not occurred. That
is not true either. When we forgive, we make room for God to transform the
wound rather than allowing the wound to transform us. It is our free choice.
Forgiveness says, “I release you from my need for revenge.”
Reconciliation says, “Let us see whether we can rebuild what was broken.”
Christian love says, “Whether or not we are reconciled, I will not stop praying
for your good. I still want the best for you.”
As we are reflective people, we can ask ourselves, “What
does Jesus actually ask of me when someone has hurt me?” It is good to
acknowledge the hurt to Jesus in prayer and say, “I will not allow what you did
to me to determine the kind of person I want to become.” I can surrender my
anger to God and I can stop demanding that the other person suffer because I
have suffered. We will face many times when the other person will not apologize
or acknowledge their hurtful words or actions. Forgiveness is a gradual
process, and I have to move forward.
Reconciliation requires the participation of at least two
people because it aims to restore a broken relationship. It is hard work and
requires some level of truth, acknowledgment, repentance, trust, and a promise
of changed behavior. There has to be some glimmer of wanting to rebuild trust.
Reconciliation does not return to the past status quo. While forgiveness looks
backwards, reconciliation looks forward. We have to decide what might have to
change for us to move forward together with the existing wounds. Reconciliation
creates something new – a relationship built on a stronger foundation of
honesty and a deeper awareness of each other’s vulnerability.
God forgives us all the time. God calls us into right
relationships that reconcile through mercy. Forgiveness is freely offered by
God with an outstretched hand and a desire for us to step forward.
Reconciliation happens when we reach back to God. Reconciliation is the
courageous work of rebuilding trust, telling the truth, accepting
responsibility, and creating a new future together. Reconciliation helps us transcend
our human condition and we create something far beyond what we could imagine.
What is the type of world in which we want to live? What is the new creation of
our dreams? God believes this is possible. What do you believe?

No comments:
Post a Comment