The Garments
Of God
By
Jessica Powers
He is God alone, supreme in
His majesty.
I sit at His feet, a child in
the dark beside Him;
my joy is aware of His glance
and my sorrow is tempted
to nest on the thought that
His face is turned from me.
He is clothed in the robes of
His mercy, voluminous
garments –
no velvet or silk and affable
to the touch,
but fabric strong for a
frantic hand to clutch,
and I hold to it fast with the
fingers of my will.
Here is my cry of faith, my
deep avowal
to the Divinity that I am
dust.
Here is the loud profession of
my trust.
I need not go abroad
to the hills of speech or the
hinterlands of music
for a crier to walk in my soul
where all is still.
I have this potent prayer
through good or ill:
Here in the dark, I clutch the
garments of God.
Art by Jay Bryant, Little One

No comments:
Post a Comment