Monday, November 7, 2022

God comes to us disguised as our lives!


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.  (Melodie Beattie)




Sometime ago, I was sharing with someone who at one time had been homeless.  He told me of how often he would long for a sandwich.  So he would hang out at fast food restaurants to collect the discarded ketchup packets.  Then (if he was lucky that day) he would find a slice of bread and squeeze out the remaining ketchup from the assorted packets to make a ketchup sandwich.  

He went on to tell me of the day that a gentleman noticed him and offered to take him to a near-by restaurant and buy him a hamburger. He told me that it was a time with a number of the hardest decisions he ever had to make.  He said this is how it went down with his ordering:

1. Did I want a white or whole wheat bun? 
2. Did I want a single burger or the deluxe double burger?  
3. Did I want cheese on my burger?  
4. Did I want my burger somewhat rare, medium, or well done?  
5. Did I want onions on the burger?  Raw or fried?  
6. Did I want lettuce, tomato, and mayo on the burger? 
7. Finally, did I want to have fries? 
8. Oops – what size order of fries?  Small, medium or large? 
9. Then it was the decision of what to drink. 
 As a result of all this burger decisioning, it took him at least 15 minutes to place his order.

No comments:

Post a Comment