Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Remembering Jessica . . .

 



The Garments

Of God

By

Jessica Powers

(Died August 18, 1988)

God sits on a chair of darkness in my soul.

He is God alone, supreme in His majesty.

I sit at His feet, a child in the dark beside Him;

my joy is aware of His glance and my sorrow is tempted

to nest on the thought that His face is turned from me.

He is clothed in the robes of His mercy, voluminous

garments –

no velvet or silk and affable to the touch,

but fabric strong for a frantic hand to clutch,

and I hold to it fast with the fingers of my will.

Here is my cry of faith, my deep avowal

to the Divinity that I am dust.

Here is the loud profession of my trust.

I need not go abroad

to the hills of speech or the hinterlands of music

for a crier to walk in my soul where all is still.

I have this potent prayer through good or ill:

Here in the dark, I clutch the garments of God.

 https://www.spondee.net/JessicaPowers/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Powers

No comments:

Post a Comment