Saturday, December 27, 2014

A New Year . . .



The Welcoming Prayer (by Father Thomas Keating)

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
I welcome everything that comes to me today
because I know it's for my healing.
I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions, persons,
situations, and conditions.
I let go of my desire for power and control.
I let go of my desire for affection, esteem,
approval and pleasure.
I let go of my desire for survival and security.
I let go of my desire to change any situation,
condition, person or myself.
I open to the love and presence of God and
God's action within. Amen.




 Standing at the Gates of the New Year


 Sacred Mystery,
 Waiting on the threshold
 Of this new year,
 You open the gates
 And beckon to me:

“Come! Come!
 Be not wary of what awaits you
 As you enter the unknown terrain,
 Be not doubtful of your ability
 To grow from its joys and sorrows.

 For I am with you.
 I will be your Guide.
 I will be your Protector.
 You will never be alone.”

Guardian of this new year,
 I set aside my fear, worries, concerns,
 I open my life to mystery, to beauty,
 To hospitality, to questions,
 To the endless opportunity
 Of discovering you in my relationships,
 And to all the silent wisps of wonder
 That draw me to your heart.

 I welcome your unfailing Presence
 And walk with hope into this new year.

From: Out of the Ordinary by Joyce Rupp


Turning Points

Time turns
taking us
where we would
not choose to go.
Suddenly
we pass a point
we will never pass again.
Turning points interrupt us . . .
there must be some mistake!
Looking back we see them
for what they are:
bittersweet raw reality
breakthrough to beatitude
bedrock that gives us courage
to give ourselves away.
The less we struggle with turning points
the greater the strength
to return and turn again. Author unknown

Lessons on Life

There was a man who had four sons. He wanted his sons to learn not to judge things too quickly. So he sent them each on a quest, in turn, to go and look at a pear tree that was a great distance away.

The first son went in the winter, the second in the spring, the third in summer, and the youngest son in the fall.
When they had all gone and come back, he called them together to describe what they had seen.

The first son said that the tree was ugly, bent, and twisted. The second son said no it was covered with green buds and full of promise.
The third son disagreed; he said it was laden with blossoms that smelled so sweet and looked so beautiful, it was the most graceful thing he had ever seen.
The last son disagreed with all of them; he said it was ripe and drooping with fruit, full of life and fulfillment.

The man then explained to his sons that they were all right, because they had each seen but only one season in the tree's life.
He told them that you cannot judge a tree, or a person, by only one season, and that the essence of who they are and the pleasure, joy, and love that come from that life can only be measured at the end, when all the seasons are up.
If you give up when it's winter, you will miss the promise of your spring, the beauty of your summer, fulfillment of your fall.

Don't let the pain of one season destroy the joy of all the rest.
Don't judge life by one difficult season.
Persevere through the difficult patches
and better times are sure to come some time or later   
Author Unknown




No comments:

Post a Comment