Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Longing and hungering for the Holy . . .




 
 Photo by Doris Klein, CSA- “Whisper of Light”


God comes to us not as food but as hunger,
not as presence but as distance felt,
not as fulfillment but as longing,
not as love consummated but as desire enkindled.

God does not take away our loneliness but intensifies it.
God does not answer our questions

but floods our souls with ever-expanding mystery.

God does not soothe that “old ache” but deepens it.
God does not open the door but prompts us to go on knocking.


For our hunger is a joyful longing.
Our hunger is God made present.


LET US PRAY:
Do not take away the hunger of my soul or let me fill it with spiritual trifles,

ready to hand, sweet to the taste, but good for only a moment’s satisfaction.
Deepen my hunger.  Enkindle my desire.  Come to me in the longing in my heart, for in my emptiness you are present.


God Hunger – Discovering the Mystic in All of Us -  by John Kirvan -
https://www.avemariapress.com/news/2012/3/1/memory-john-kirvan-1932-2012-renowned-author/

No comments:

Post a Comment