Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Another Sorrowful Mystery . . .

A poem posted by Fr. Stephen Verbest . . .
https://newmelleray.org/Homily-Library
 
A poem by an unknown author, titled "Two Mothers", tells of their anonymous heavenly encounter as follows: 
 
A long time ago, so I have been told,
 Two mothers once met on streets paved with gold.
“By the stars in your crown,” said Mary to the other
“I see that on earth, you too, were a mother.

"And by, the violet-tinted halo you wear
 You, too, have known sorrow and deepest despair.”


“Ah yes,” she replied, “I once had a son.
 A sweet little lad, full of laughter and fun.

“But tell of your child.”
 “Oh, I knew I was blessed
 From the moment I first held him close to my breast,
 And my heart almost burst with the joy of that day.”

“Ah, yes,” said the other, “I felt the same way.”

 
The former continued: “The first steps he took-
So eager and breathless; the sweet startled look
 Which came over his face – he trusted me so.”


“Ah, yes,” said the other, “How well do I know."
 
“But soon he had grown to a tall handsome boy,
 So stalwart and kind – and it gave me such joy
 To have him just walk down the street by my side.”


“Ah yes," said the other mother, “I felt the same pride.”

“How often I shielded and spared him from pain.
 And when he for others was so cruelly slain.
 When they crucified him – and they spat in his face
 How gladly would I have hung there in his place!”


A moment of silence – “Oh, then you are indeed
 The mother of Christ!”
; and she fell on one knee.
 But the Blessed one raised her up, drawing her near.
 And kissed from the cheek of the mother, a tear.


“Tell me the name of the son you love so,
 That I may share with you in your grief and your woe.”

She lifted her eyes, looking straight at the other.
“He was Judas Iscariot: I am his mother.”



No comments:

Post a Comment