Thursday, November 14, 2013

End Time ~ Make a Difference!

If each grain of sand were to say:
One grain does not make a mountain,
There would be no land

If each drop of water were to say:
One drop does not make an ocean
There would be no sea

If each note of music were to say:              
One note does not make a symphony,
There would be no melody

If each word were to say:
One word does not make a library
There would be no book

If each brick were to say:
One brick does not make a wall,
There would be no house

If each seed were to say:
One seed does not make a field
There would be no harvest

You do make the difference
Begin today and make the difference
~ Author Unknown

My sister called to tell me that she and her husband had just taken part in a three-day Mission at their home parish.  The priest-preacher-presenter belongs to a religious order that ministers in the south side of Chicago.  My sister was so impressed with his presentations that she could actually quote some of his statements to me. But what moved her the most was that on the first night of the Mission, he informed the crowded church that there would be the Sacrament of Reconciliation the next night and that twelve priests would be available.

He told them that they needed only to confess that one story that keeps them from being free – he went on - according to my sister, that there would only be an Our Father and Hail Mary required for a “penance” along with one act of kindness.  He told them that no one would condemn them, yell at them, judge them, or insult them. They would only be companioned by the gift of God’s grace, mercy, forgiveness, and compassion.  My sister also said that he often would tell the crowd of people that in the name of his brothers, he apologizes for any priests who may have brought harm or shame to them in any way.  My sister said that on the night of Reconciliation, there was standing room only.  This one priest, at this one Mission, in this one place and time has made a difference in the lives of so many.

In our Scripture readings this Sunday, in the Gospel of Luke, the Biblical commentaries reflect on Jesus’ preaching of the End Times – it is Jesus’ final time of preaching in the Temple.  And according to the theologians, as Jesus speaks about the destruction of the Temple, “The destruction of the Temple was connected in the popular mind to the end of the world.”  How in our lives have we experienced an “end time” in a variety of forms, such as, significant events or unexpected occurrences? How were we changed because of these occurrences?

I was pondering this writing while waiting for the oil change in my car, and so I made a short list of “end time” items that came to mind.  What if you would make your own “end time” listing – and reflect how each one has affected you in any way.  Here’s my list:
Days are shorter now, temperatures are dropping, trees have shed their leaves, and we have had our first snow.  
Dictators, powerful rulers, government leaders have come and gone 
Houston Astrodome is slated for demolition
Aaron Rogers, quarterback for the Green Bay Packers, is injured, healing, and waiting to return to the game of football
Pope Francis is a “disturbance in the Force” in a good way ~ the most significant person on Twitter!
So how do we live in “end time” times? We live in them by being present to the Presence of God, and living out our qualities of mercy, generosity, compassion, hope, harmony, and love. 

REVIEW YOUR LIFE NOW

"At least once a year, I imagine that I am about to die. Looking back as truthfully as I can at my entire life, I give full attention to the things I wish hadn’t occurred. Recognizing these mistakes honestly but without self-recrimination, I try to rejoice in the innate wisdom that allows me to see so bravely, and I feel compassion for how I so frequently messed up. Then I can go forward. The future is wide open, and what I do with it is up to me." ~ Pema Chodron

“Simplicity, patience, compassion. 
These three are your greatest treasures. 
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being. 
Patient with both friends and enemies, 
you accord with the way things are. 
Compassionate toward yourself, 
you reconcile all beings in the world.”  ~ Lao Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment