Wednesday, September 25, 2013

In Honor of St.Francis ~ A Reflection on Brother Fire!


It is said that at one time Rabbi Lot went to see Rabbi Joseph and said, “Rabbi, as much as I am able, I practice a small rule of life, all the little fasts, some prayer and meditation, and remain quiet, and as much as possible, I keep my thoughts clean.  What else should I do?  Then the old Rabbi Joseph stood up and stretched out his hands toward heaven, and his fingers became like the torches of flame.  And he said, “Why not be turned into fire?”                                        (From the Desert Fathers and Mothers)

“In the spiritual life we keep our practices, spend time in prayer, seek God in all things, and yet at some point even all this is not enough – and we are asked to become fire. Becoming fire means letting our passion for life and beauty ignite us in the world. It means, that we are called  to set the whole world on fire with our passion for God. . . .
What is the invitation of fire for you this day?
What is blazing in your heart?
Where do you need the fire of courage in your life?
What keeps you from living your life with an awareness of this holy fire within you?
What ignites you with sacred passion for the world?
What would it mean for you to truly become fire?


Blessing of Fire
Spirit of Fire, you revealed yourself through the burning bush and the fiery courage of Pentecost.
Fiery Spirit, Source of all creative power, kindle your Holy Spark within me, Breathe into me your Sacred Passion, fill me with your Flame until I have become fire, offering warmth and light to the world.
Spirit of Refining Fire, help me to release what no longer serves me to make room for your light to fill me.
Blessings of fire be upon me; May the light of God illuminate me; and may the flame of love burn  brightly in me.  May I discover each day anew my own hidden fire and enter it fully."  (Christine Valters Paintner: Water, Wind, Earth & Fire)


No comments:

Post a Comment