Sunday, May 20, 2012

"God comes to us disguised as our lives."

Five year old Johnny was in the kitchen as his mother made supper.  She asked him to go into the storeroom and get her a can of tomato soup.  But he didn’t want to go in alone.  “It’s dark in there and I’m scared.”  She asked again, and he persisted.  Finally she said, “It’s OK – Jesus will be in there with you.”  Johnny walked hesitantly to the door and slowly opened it.  He peeked inside, saw it was dark, and started to leave when all at once an idea came, and he said: Jesus, if you’re in there, would you hand me that can of tomato soup?”
This week God has come into the lives of so many people, so I will share a few thoughts in regard to my observations. We are also in the last days of preparing for the feast of Pentecost in which we celebrate the “day of the great gathering in and the great sending out. (Richard Rohr)


My first sharing has to do with my talented niece who is a metal smith.   This week was the launching of her new website skfdesigns.  Here she presents her pieces of art that she has twisted, bent, formed, pounded, and re-configured into “out of the box” beautifully designed bracelets, earrings, necklaces, rings, and more.  They resemble the coiled curls that encircle her beautiful face. God has handed Sue great opportunities to grow her talent in making jewelry from metals.  She had to be willing to step inside the dark and upon the scary future path - not knowing where it would lead.  But she persisted with much support from her family, friends, professors, and other artists.  Certainly God has been disguised throughout her life, handing her opportunities, experiences, challenges, and gifts - - and she has been courageous enough to enter the adventure of her life.  Congratulations, Sue!

My second sharing: yesterday was the running of the Preakness Stakes.  The horse, I’ll Have Another did just that, as he won this “second jewel” of the Triple Crown races.  His jockey, Mario Gutierrez  praised the horse, "It's just all about the horse," Gutierrez told NBC Sports minutes after winning the Preakness.” Mario, also was sure to praise his mentor, Glenn Todd, who, at just the right time in his life, handed him the possibility of entering into the big leagues of horse racing.  Mario is spoken of as humble and faith filled and  he was willing to step into the darkness as well  (or ride horseback).  Truly, God has been with him as he has journeyed from Mexico, to Canada, and to the racing venues of the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes. Congratulations, Mario and I’ll Have Another! – and let’s hope he will at the Belmont Stakes!!!!

Finally, today we are anticipating the Solar Eclipse in which we will be able to view a “ring of fire” as the moon makes its journey across the the face of the sun.   We also are approaching the feast of Pentecost next Sunday.  This is a different kind of “ring of fire” celebration.  It is the feast where the Spirit empowers all in the upper room to become people of faith, courage, and conviction.  These disciples experienced a unique “ring of fire” as well, - no special glasses needed.  This Spirit-Fire propelled them from the upper room of fear and moved then into the world of faith, freedom, and fortitude. 
The Solar Eclipse of today, as the moon takes its place between the sun and earth – will be one more cosmological gift that God hands to us to move beyond the dark and scary rooms of our lives, to the light of creativity, wonder, awe, and mystery!  And so, let us pray:

Come, Holy Spirit ~
Replace the tension within me with a holy relaxation,
Replace the turbulence within me with a sacred calm,
Replace the anxiety within me with a quiet confidence,
Replace the fear within me with a strong faith,
Replace the bitterness within me with the sweetness of grace,
Replace the darkness within me with a gentle light,
Replace the coldness within me with a loving warmth,
Replace the night within me with Your day,
Replace the winter within me with Your spring,
Straighten my crookedness, fill my emptiness,
Dull the edge of my pride, sharpen the edge of my humility,
Light the fires of my love, quench within me the flames of envy,
Let me see myself as You see me, that I may see You as You have promised ~
And be fortunate according to Your word, “Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall
see God.” (Anonymous)


                                         
     

No comments:

Post a Comment